Sneak Peek of SHAPE 2019 in L.A.
We are thrilled to announce that registration for AT&T SHAPE is officially open. At the two-day event, you can explore 5G and the future of entertainment by visiting interactive exhibits and hearing thought-provoking speakers. Be inspired by creators pushing new frontiers in story-telling and visual effects. Dive into immersive entertainment experiences including a tour of outdoor sets and soundstages for Gilmore Girls, The Big Bang Theory, and Argo. Witness the impact of 5G and MR on our lives. See what’s possible at Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles on June 22-23, 2019.
Explore the SHAPE Exhibits
Join us at SHAPE and see how our tech and media partners are exploring the latest in video, 5G, AI, IoT, and more. You might just discover your next big idea, and the tech to make it happen. Here are a few highlights you can expect to see at the event.
- AR Wall: Lights, camera, action! Step inside the movies to see how digital screens are replacing green screens in movie production.
- AWS DeepRacer: DeepRacer is 1/18th scale racecar that gives a fun, hands-on way of discovering reinforcement learning, an advanced machine learning technique. You can get started with a virtual car in the cloud-based 3D racing simulator, and then deploy your trained model onto our track! Take the wheel, the race is on!
- Ericsson: Play classic games like Whack-a-mole, Operation, and car racing to see the power of 5G in action. Turn up the volume with 5G and then downgrade to lower speeds to witness the difference in technology.
- HBO’s Game of Thrones: Visit the Game of Thrones experience for an opportunity to fight and defeat a Wight and a White Walker.
- Live Planet: Create a 3D 360 video over livestream and then download it and view it on a VR headset.
- Mantis: Pass through a high-def, multi-camera gate to have your movements transformed into a volumetric video that can be edited, shared, and viewed on virtually any platform.
- Netgear: See how the Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router uses 5G to deliver the ultimate gaming experience.
- Noitom: Curious what real-time AR on a mobile device is like? At this exhibit, you can watch and interact with the same avatar (and the actor driving the avatar’s motions).
- Nokia: Visit an interactive L.A. bus stop to get an idea of how 5G can improve your commute.
Meet the SHAPE Speakers
This year, we have an exciting line-up of amazing speakers who are leaders in their perspective fields. They will talk about everything from The Scully Effect and ground-breaking technologies, to the future of sports. Here are some of the speakers you can expect to see at SHAPE:
Elizabeth Banks: Actress, writer, and director, Elizabeth Banks takes the stage to discuss her journey from actress to director and detail her experience in the industry. A well-established actress of film and small screen, she is a three-time Emmy nominee for her recurring roles in 30 Rock and Modern Family. Banks made her directorial debut in 2015 with Pitch Perfect 2, which was the highest opening weekend for a musical in history, the biggest opener for a first-time feature film director, and the second-largest opening for a female director.
Mayim Bialik: Award-winning actress and best-selling author, Mayim Bialik will join a conversation about The Scully Effect and how gender parity in media can result in social change. Bialik currently stars on the hit CBS comedy, The Big Bang Theory as Amy Farrah Fowler. She has penned four books about growing up, parenting, and cooking, and has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA.
Laverne Cox: Award-winning transgender actress, producer, and equal rights advocate, Laverne Cox will appear on the SHAPE stage to share a conversation with actress, writer, and director, Elizabeth Banks. The two will talk about their experience in the industry and things they’ve learned on their journeys. Laverne’s groundbreaking role of Sophia Burset in Orange is The New Black brought her to the attention of diverse audiences all over the world. Laverne is the first openly transgender person to appear on the covers of TIME, Cosmopolitan, and Essence magazines and was named one of Glamour magazine’s 2014 Women of the Year.
Geena Davis: Academy Award winner, Geena Davis takes the stage to discuss the findings in The Scully Effect, a recent study conducted by the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media. Davis is not only an Oscar and Golden Globe-winning actor, but a world-class athlete (at one time the nation’s 13th-ranked archer), a member of the genius society Mensa, and is now recognized for her tireless advocacy of women and girls nearly as much as for her acting accomplishments. Together with Trevor Drinkwater, she founded the Bentonville Film Festival in 2015 to champion women in media.
Danny Keens: Head of Content at Next VR, Danny Keens, will share how artists embrace technologies like VR and AR to engage fans and deepen their experience. Keens has held multiple positions at Twitter overseeing sports partnerships, various verticals, and executing the company’s strategy with international production houses and broadcasters. Before working at Twitter, he was a TV Producer for SportsCenter and 60 Minutes in Australia.
Dr. Erin Macdonald: Public speaker and technical consultant, Dr. Erin Macdonald will talk about The Scully Effect at SHAPE. Macdonald obtained a Ph.D. in gravitational astrophysics from the University of Glasgow, having done research with the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (resulting in the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physics) on gravitational waves from dead and colliding stars and black holes. She has become a regular fixture at popular culture conventions teaching the science behind science fiction.
Niecy Nash: Emmy-winning producer and twice-nominated actress, Niecy Nash will share her insight and learnings on her road to success. Nash’s career includes roles in HBO’s Getting On, which has earned her two Emmy nominations, FOX’s Scream Queens, Showtime’s Masters of Sex and TV Land’s The Soul Man. Nash currently stars in the lead role of “Desna” in Claws on TNT. She is also developing television and film projects through her own production company, Chocolate Chick, Inc.
shallou: Joe Boston aka shallou is a Maryland-born indie electronic artist whose debut EP All Becomes Okay catapulted him from obscurity to prominence via strong word-of-mouth buzz. With sold out headline shows across the U.S. and UK and over 100 million total Spotify plays, shallou is just getting started. Tracks like ‘Lie’ and ‘Begin’ earned him multiple SiriusXM #1 spots, and landed on the Billboard Dance charts, all achieved as an independent artist.
Sherri Shepherd: Actress, comedienne and best-selling author Sherri Shepherd will join Niecy Nash on the SHAPE stage for “A Master Class with Niecy Nash.” Shepherd is an actress, comedienne, and best-selling author. In addition to being a co-host on The View, she has appeared in countless primetime series and sitcoms and starred in her own Lifetime sitcom, Sherri. No stranger to film, she’s co-starred in movies with Katherine Heigl, Chris Rock, and Kevin Hart. She became the first African American woman to host a game show, serving as host of The Newlywed Game for four seasons. You can see Shepherd in the upcoming biopic Brian Banks, with Aldis Hodge, Morgan Freeman, and Greg Kinnear, in theaters August 2019.
Adam Silver: Commissioner of the National Basketball Association (NBA), Adam Silver, will talk with AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan about innovation in sports, media, and technology. Silver presides over a global sports and media business built around four professional sports leagues: the NBA, Women’s NBA, NBA G League, and NBA 2K League. Among his countless accolades, Silver has been included on TIME’s 100 Most Influential People list, the Bloomberg 50, and named Sports Illustrated’s Executive of the Year.
Cathy Yan: Award-winning filmmaker, Cathy Yan will appear on the SHAPE stage as a guest speaker at the AT&T Film Awards. Her first feature, DEAD PIGS, won prizes at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival, the Dallas Film Festival, and Seattle Film Festival, among others. She is set to direct Margot Robbie as the character Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey (and The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) at Warner Bros/DC, making her the first Asian woman to direct a superhero film.
Discover the Sessions
SHAPE is all about sharing new ideas and getting to see and hear from leaders in filmmaking and technology; you’ve met some of the speakers above, now learn even more about some of our exciting sessions. Below you’ll find just a small sampling of some of the topics headed to the main stage.
Meet the creators of the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite game at SHAPE. The game invites players to view the real world through a Wizarding World lens, via your smartphone. Innovation in Augmented Reality (AR) allows game players to view and interact with the same AR simultaneously and take actions within this AR that impact each other’s game play. So, brush up on your spells, get your wand ready. Join the team that created this new Harry Potter adventure at SHAPE. The team includes:
- Jonathan Knight, Vice President and Studio Head at WB Games San Francisco
- Mary Casey, Executive Director of Product at WB Games San Francisco and a BAFTA-nominated Game Producer
- Archit Bhargava, Director of Worldwide Product Marketing at Niantic
- Alex Moffit, Producer at Niantic
Rony Abovitz will share his vision for a future in which the Magicverse creates a large-scale canvas for creatives, with Magic Leap merging the digital and the physical worlds to create a new reality with 5G. Speakers will include:
- Rony Abovitz – Founder, President and CEO of Magic Leap
- John Donovan – CEO, AT&T Communications
Watch the AT&T Competitions
We love inspiring creators, developers, and aspiring filmmakers. Every year we host a couple of competitions at SHAPE and invite you to come see creativity in the making. Here’s what’s happening this year:
- AT&T SHAPE Hackathon: See projects from the three finalists named at this year’s hackathon and vote for your favorite team.
- AT&T Film Awards: Enjoy a movie in the AT&T screening room where you can watch films from the finalists, alongside content from Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, and Roadtrip Nation.
SHAPE 2019 is shaping up to be our best event yet. Register today. We can’t wait to see you there!