Everything you need to know about AT&T SHAPE
The AT&T Developer Program is pleased to announce that registration is now open for AT&T SHAPE at Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles on July 14–15, 2017.
SHAPE is an immersive event that explores the convergence of technology and entertainment. Be inspired by luminary speakers, interactive demos, and hands-on creation activities. Tour Warner Bros. Studios’ outdoor sets and soundstages and get an up-close look at authentic props and costumes from iconic films. Vote for the winners of the SHAPE Hackathon and view short films from the AT&T Entertainment Project finalists.
What can you explore?
Exhibits – Experience interactive demos that give you a glimpse into how virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality will change content creation in the future.
- Gravity Jack – Experience a cross-platform augmented reality technology that tracks the six degrees of freedom pose of almost any real-world object regardless of texture, lighting, or transparency.
- WhirlwindFX – Vortx is the first contactless, environmental simulator for immersive content. It controls airflow, pressure, and temperature automatically synced with all your favorite PC games and videos. Stay Alive. Live the Action. Learn more here.
- Video Optimizer – Come learn about an award-winning, FREE diagnostic tool that can help you improve your mobile app’s performance and video streaming, while also helping to reduce data and battery consumption. The Video Optimizer booth is right next to the coffee bar, so come enjoy an espresso and talk to the people who designed and developed the tool. As a thank you for stopping by our booth we will also give you a fidget spinner.
Speakers – Be inspired. Listen to luminary speakers as they discuss the convergence of technology and entertainment and engage in dialogue around new frontiers in digital storytelling and interactive video. A few of our confirmed speakers and sessions include the following:
- Kathryn Bigelow: One of Hollywood’s most innovative filmmakers and two-time Academy Award®-winning director. With a powerful point of view evidenced in the critically acclaimed films ZERO DARK THIRTY, THE HURT LOCKER, and this summer’s highly anticipated DETROIT, Bigelow’s body of work challenges genre norms and offers viscerally stunning portraits of characters and conflicts resonant to contemporary culture. Join us as we discuss not only her journey as a director, producer, and writer but her thoughts on the role of VR and its impact on the future of storytelling including her debut VR short film documentary The Protectors – A Walk in the Ranger’s Shoes.
- Lance Weiler: Storyteller, entrepreneur, and thought leader. An alum of the Sundance Screenwriters Lab and current Director of Experiential Learning & Applied Creativity at Columbia University; WIRED magazine named him “One of twenty-five people helping to re-invent entertainment.” Lance will discuss how story and code collide in the session titled, Sherlock Holmes & the Internet of Things: How to Join a Massive Storytelling Experiment.
- Tobias Weber: Writer & Director of Late Shift, the world’s first fully realized choose-your-own-adventure film. Tobias will screen Late Shift, offering viewers a unique participatory experience via their mobile device. Join us afterwards for a Q&A with Tobias as he explores how a little code, a story, and the will to blend the two can broaden our entertainment experiences.
- Marco Tempest: Director’s Fellow at the MIT Media Lab, Cyber-Illusionist, and Technologist. Inventing the Impossible Marco reveals the psychology, networking technology, and creativity that goes into creating magical entertainment experiences.
- Gerd Leonhard: Futurist, Humanist, Author of Technology vs. Humanity, and CEO of The Futures Agency. Listed by WIRED Magazine as one of the top 100 most influential people in Europe, Gerd will discuss the challenge of digital transformation and the redefinition of human-machine relationships in the session titled, The Network Revolution: Fueling the Next Generation of Entertainment Experiences.
- Beau Lotto: Globally renowned neuroscientist and entrepreneur whose studies in human perception have taken him well beyond the scientific domain and into the fields of education, the arts, and business. Dr. Lotto will explore the impact of immersive technologies on the future of mobile entertainment.
- Untold Stories Panel – Finding the Million Dollar Film: AT&T Presents Untold Stories is a multi-year, multi-tier alliance between AT&T and the Tribeca Film Festival along with the year-round nonprofit Tribeca Film Institute. This session will focus on the launch of the program, how it will contribute to the film industry, what it’s like to do a pitch for a million dollar grant, how the panel chose this year’s winning film, and more. Panelists include: Faraday Okoro, winner of this year’s Untold Stories program and recipient of a $1 million grant; Fiona Carter, AT&T Chief Brand Officer; Amy Hobby, Executive Director, TFI; Jeffrey Wright, Producer, Actor, and Untold Stories Greenlight Committee member.
- DC Universe and the Future of Storytelling: On Saturday, join Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment panelists on the SHAPE main stage to hear them discuss techniques and technologies they use to create new content and stories. From TV shows and movies to video games, learn how the DC Universe has successfully expanded the comic book genre to other media forms, offering tremendous innovation across storytelling.
AT&T Create-a-thon – Watch or participate in the AT&T Create-a-thon. Shoot your short film at Warner Bros. Studios using select iconic cityscapes and backlots. The winning team will receive $20,000!*
AT&T Creator Camp – Designed for kids ages 8 to 14 with a creative streak who are interested in learning about video and film production. In a high-energy, family-friendly environment, kids can collaborate in multiple activities that’ll give them hands-on experience in stop-motion animation, storyboarding, storytelling, green screen, film editing and visual effects. Your child will be guided by mentors so they’ll get the most out of each experience.
AT&T Entertainment Project – Come see imaginative, undiscovered short films from talented, aspiring storytellers who want to share their voices with the world. The AT&T Entertainment Project is an open short film competition culminating at SHAPE where we’ll screen the finalists’ films in front of a live audience and esteemed panel of judges. Vote for your favorite film and help us select the winner.
SHAPE Hackathon – Participate in the hackathon the weekend before SHAPE on July 7–9, 2017 for a chance to win cash prizes. Finalists will pitch their projects on the SHAPE main stage in front of a live audience.
AT&T SHAPE Social Giveaway – Attend SHAPE July 14-15th at Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles and share your experience on Twitter or Periscope for a chance to win DJI Osmo Mobile Device. Send a tweet from your Twitter account or share a Periscope video at least once per day during the event using the following hashtags, #ATTSHAPE and #SWEEPSTAKES. Sending a tweet or sharing your video with the above hashtags enters you in the sweepstakes. Feel free to tweet about your SHAPE experience as much as you want. At the end of each day, we’ll select a winner of a DJI Osmo Mobile Device. Read the official rules for more information.
Take the Warner Bros. Studio Tour and explore outdoor sets and soundstages used to create productions such as Gilmore Girls, The Big Bang Theory, and Argo. See original props, costumes, picture cars, and sets used from Batman to Friends. Visit the DC Universe—DC Comics Exhibit, the real Central Perk Friends set, original Batman Museum—Batmobile Collection, and so much more.
We will continue to update the schedule on the registration website to give you the most recent information about SHAPE. We hope to see you in Los Angeles in July!
*No purchase necessary, US resident, age of majority. Enter by 6/14/17. Void where prohibited. See Official Rules.